Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

From: Hacksaw (hacksaw@hacksaw.org)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 13:37:07 EST

>This is the problem with all sorts of ID-based naming. In this case
>the kernel could simply change the conflicting names a bit,
>and leave the cleanup to the administrator. (Who probably
>is around as he just inserted those disks....)

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

The kernel, when asked to report on the disks physically attached to the
machine, should report the location and *volume* name.

It should never just mount things when there is a conflict. Make the user
resolve the conflict immediately by being more specific.

Partition names are sacrosanct. They should always work within the relative
filesystem.

If I have a disk with /, /usr and /var, I want mentions of ../var to work
correctly in scripts in usr, assuming I have usr and var mounted into /.