RE: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

From: Jonathan Lundell (jlundell@pobox.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 10:14:40 EST

At 11:56 AM +0200 2001-05-16, Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:
>We could do something like baptizing disks.. Fix some location
>(i.e. the absolutely last sector of the disk or the partition table or
>whatever) and store there some 32-bit ID
>(could be a random number, a progressive number, whatever).

Most of these solutions (and RAID IDs and UUIDs) don't completely
solve the problem; they just push it to a different time: how do you
talk about a new disk, or a new RAID array, or a moved disk? And what
about removable media (not neglecting the possibility of multiple
drives)? Removable media from another OS? Shared drives?

Not that this kind of "firm" ID might not be an improvement, or at
least a good sanity check.

[Side question, not original with me: why isn't all this a 2.5 discussion?]

--
/Jonathan Lundell.