Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 02:11:00 EST

hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin) wrote on 15.05.01 in <3B01A044.F72BFDD1@transmeta.com>:

> Personally, I would also like to see network devices manifest in the
> filesystem namespace like everything else.

Yes.

Can we have a meta-rule?

*Every* by-name kernel interface should have a filesystem variant.

That is, if there's a kernel interface where you give the kernel a string
to identify an in-kernel object, there should be some place in the file
system (after mounting any prerequisites) that will respond to a path
ending in that name.

That doesn't necessarily mean the parent will be a readable directory -
that would, of course, be preferrable, but if enumerating all objects is a
problem, then dropping this requirement is much preferrable to not having
a pathname.

MfG Kai