Re: 2.4.4 kernel freeze for unknown reason

From: Vincent Stemen (linuxkernel@AdvancedResearch.org)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 00:25:08 EST

On Tuesday 15 May 2001 02:13, Jacky Liu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Mark, I got your point about the dma/udma stuffs. My hdparm setting is
> UDMA w/ MultiSector 16..
>
> I had recompiled my kernel and disabled the FB option but my linux box
> still hanged (another completely freeze) yesterday... Oh well..
>
> I have been tracking this thread for a few days and it seem the source of
> this problem is related to swap space. Vincent, would you mind to send me
> the patch for swap space problem if Alan had sent it to you? So I can
> test it on my machine and report the result later.

I havn't received the patch but, on Byron Stanoszek's suggestion, I
have compiled 2.4.4 with gcc-2.95.3 to run on it a few days to see if
it is any better. So far, it appears at least as stable as with
egcs-1.1.2 and most of the swap was freed up this morning for the
first time since 2.4.0. However, it is pretty full tonight. I should
know tomorrow if it really made a difference. This is usually the
state in which I find it locked up the next morning. It has been up a
little over 2 days now. Byron actually suggested I use the ac7 patch
but I first wanted to see if the compiler had anything to do with it
without changing anything else.