LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 14:19:34 EST

First of all, I apologize for not having sent this notice out sooner.
This kind of writing is very painful to deal with.

Linus Torvalds has requested a moratorium on new device number
assignments. His hope is that a new and better method for device space
handing will emerge as a result.

Alan Cox has requested that I maintain a forked registry for his -ac
kernel patch tree. I have agreed to do so once I have forked off the
"final" version of the registry for Linus' tree. At that time I will
process the backlog for the benefit of the -ac registry only. Please
have patience until I can get that to happen.

Please note that this is not my decision (in fact, I have serious
concerns with it.) In particular, /dev namespace coordination still
applies.

Sincerely,

        H. Peter Anvin
        The Linux Assigned Names and Numbers Authority