Nasty Requirements for non-GPL Linux Kernel Modules?

From: Scott C. Karlin (scott@CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 12:50:13 EST

It appears that Linus Torvalds has stated that it is possible
to have a non-GPL'd (or even binary only) Linux device driver
kernel module dynamically linked to the kernel "assuming all
the nasty requirements are met." [see reference below]

What, specifically, are the "nasty requirements?"

  * Is it simply that it must compile separately from the kernel
    and load via insmod?

  * May I #include kernel header files in my module?

  * If so, which ones?

  * What if these header files have inline functions?
    (Does it matter?)

If I don't hear from Linus directly, can someone point me to
a document, file, or mailing list thread where this might be
spelled out.

As part of our operating system / networking research, we have
written a loadable kernel module for Linux. We would like to
distribute the source but we're not sure if our development
office will allow us to release it under the GPL (at least
initially). Before meeting with the lawyers, I'm trying to
learn what I can about the issue.

Thanks,
Scott

Reference:

Linux Kernel mailing list thread, "Is it OK to release non-GPL
network driver with source?" started 06 Sep 2000. Specifically,
see http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2000/Sep/1491.html
which is copied here: