Meaning of major kernel version number

From: Erik Hensema (erik@hensema.xs4all.nl)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 15:49:43 EST

Hi,

A little question which may be a FAQ: what does the major version number
[1] of the Linux kernel (still) mean? What is the policy on increasing the
major version (eg. on what basis it is decided the next kernel isn't going
to be 2.6 but 3.0)?

I'm asking this question because I think there isn't going to be a
kernel which is as different from the previous one as 2.0 compared to 1.2.
As a little reminder: 2.0 brought us SMP, modules, multi-platform support
(did 1.2 support Alpha? I don't remember), quota support, MD support, loop
device, to name a few.

If this is true, may have to rethink the current versioning scheme, or
we'll stick to 2.x.y forever...

--
Erik Hensema (erik@hensema.xs4all.nl)