Re: Oopses under 2.4.4pre8 with Tbird 1.2GHz/Epox 8kta3

From: Lawrence Gold (gold@shell.aros.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 12:47:18 EST

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 06:07:36PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Could this be a sign of a faulty 3DNOW! core in my CPU? If so, do you
> > know of any utilities I could run that test these instructions? (For
> > Linux or Windows.)
>
> This problem is only seen on VIA chipsets so far. Never on AMD ones.
> This leads me to the current tentative diagnosis of 'VIA chipset bug'

Thanks, at least that clears up some of the mystery. Do you foresee any
problems with running on this setup using a kernel compiled for Athlon but
with the 3DNOW line commented out in arch/i386/config.in? Should I go one
step further and force the use of generic mmx code in mmx.c? (I suppose I
could just build for P2 or P3 to get the same effect.)

Thanks!