Re: Severe problems when mounting vfat partitions

From: Olaf Stetzer (ostetzer@mail.uni-mainz.de)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 05:08:01 EST

Am Samstag, 28. April 2001 20:18 schrieb Andrzej Krzysztofowicz:
> > Dweezil:~# mount -t msdos /dev/hda5 /mnt
> > Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
> > 00000004
>
> One-bit-from-zero address suggests hardware memory problem.
> Did you try to change memory chips ?

No, but I solved the problem yesterday at 3:00 in the night! A recompiled
kernel (this time: 2.2.19) did the trick. However, the previous kernels I
compiled with different options were not installed correctly. To be
precise: I have a small /boot partition where I store the kernels to
boot, but unfortunately make bzlilo was not aware of that fact and so
running lilo always installed the old broken 2.2.17!

Maybe the error had something to do with other problems mentioned
about a VIA KT133 bug (data corruption...something) but I am quite
happy that I can work again!

Bye,

Olaf