[Moving rapidly offtopic] Re: CML2 1.3.1, aka "I stick my neck out a mile..."

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (mailgate@hometree.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 04:09:36 EST

"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> writes:

>@hd{McQuary limit} @p{} 4 lines of at most 80 characters each,
> sometimes still cited on Usenet as the maximum acceptable size of a
> @es{sig block}. Before the great bandwidth explosion of the early
> 1990s, long sigs actually cost people running Usenet servers
> significant amounts of money. Nowadays social pressure against
> long sigs is intended to avoid waste of human attention rather
> than machine bandwidth. Accordingly, the McQuary limit should
> be considered a rule of thumb rather than a hard limit; it's
> best to avoid sigs that are large, repetitive, and distracting.
> See also @es{warlording}.

Don't tell me how to live my life
Don't tell me what to do
Repression is always brought about
By people with politics
and attitudes like you

 -- Anne Clark, The power game, 1982

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/