Re: Oopses under 2.4.4pre8 with Tbird 1.2GHz/Epox 8kta3

From: Lawrence Gold (gold@shell.aros.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 01:17:54 EST

I believe I've narrowed down the cause of my oopses/panics:

If I build with CONFIG_MK7 but comment out

           define_bool CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW y

in the MK7 part of arch/i386/config.in, the 2.4.4 kernel appears to run
perfectly.

On a side note, if I leave arch/i386/config.h untouched but force the use
of the generic MMX implementations of fast_clear_page() and
fast_copy_page() in arch/i386/lib/mmx.c, then I get some odd behavior but
nothing as bad as I had been getting before. (For example, running awk
always produces the message "awk: cmd. line: 1: (FILENAME- FNR=1) fatal:
attempt to access field -2147483648".)

Could this be a sign of a faulty 3DNOW! core in my CPU? If so, do you
know of any utilities I could run that test these instructions? (For
Linux or Windows.)

The CPU is a 1.2GHz Athlon Thunderbird with a 266MHz frontside bus. In
case it's helpful, I've attached the contents of /proc/cpuinfo.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1202.774
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 2398.61