Re: question regarding cpu selection

From: Duncan Gauld (duncan@gauldd.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 20:28:48 EST

On Sunday 29 April 2001 3:36 pm, Ville Herva wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 02:56:08PM -0400, you [William Park] claimed:
> > On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 07:07:51PM -0400, Duncan Gauld wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > This seems a silly question but - I have an intel celeron 800mhz CPU
> > > and thus it is of the Coppermine breed. But under cpu selection when
> > > configuring the kernel, should I select PIII or PII/Celeron? Just
> > > wondering, since Coppermine is basically a newish PIII with 128K less
> > > cache...
> >
> > Try both, and see if your machine throws up.
>
> 800Mhz Celeron is actually a CeleronII, and it does SSE just like PIII (the
> only difference being cache). Therefore PIII option should work.
>
> Perhaps this should be fixed in the config menu (or is it already? Which
> kernel are you compiling?)

compiling kernel 2.4.4 on mandrake 8.
Just checked - no mention of Celeron II in there-
   Pentium Pro/Pentium II/Celeron
is the only line mentioning the celeron; maybe the PIII line could be changed
to something like "Pentium III/Celeron II"?
I would supply a patch, but I don't know how to write such a thing :)

---
Duncan Gauld
dunkers@blueyonder.co.uk
http://www.freelin.org (linux on cd, free)