linux and high volume web sites

From: valery (valery.brasseur@atosorigin.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 04:01:19 EST

I have a high volume web site under linux :
kernel is 2.2.17
hardware is 5 bi-PIII 700Mhz / 512Mb, eepro100
all server are diskless (nfs on an netapp filer) except for tmp and swap

dispatch is done by the Resonate product

web server is apache+php (something like 400 processes), database
backend is a mysql on the same hardware

in high volume from time to time machines are "freezing" then after a
few seconds they "reappear" and response timne is

how can I investigate all these problems ?