Re: [patch] swap-speedup-2.4.3-B3 (fwd)

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 09:02:35 EST

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> 1. pagecache is becoming swapcache and must be aged before anything is
> done. Meanwhile we're calling refill_inactive_scan() so fast that noone
> has a chance to touch a page. Age becomes a simple counter.. I think.
> When you hit a big surge, swap pages are at the back of all lists, so all
> of your valuable cache gets reclaimed before we write even one swap page.

Does the patch I sent to linux-mm@kvack.org last night help in
this ?

I found that the way refill_inactive_scan() and swap_out() are being
called from the main loop in refill_inactive() aren't equal and have
fixed that in a way which (IMHO) also beautifies the code a bit.

(and makes sure background aging doesn't get out of hand with a few
simple checks)

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/ http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/