Re: Request for comment -- a better attribution system

From: Roger Gammans (roger@computer-surgery.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 06:51:42 EST

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 01:49:16PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>:
> > > Then you're going to conjure up maintainers for the code which is currently
> > > orphaned?
> >
> > That's a *really* hard problem. I don't know how to solve that one myself.
>
> You could volunteer to maintain all the code you reveal
> to be orphaned ...
>
> *runs like hell*

I'm not sure Eric would have to.

It's entirley possible the problem will solve itself
when/if people like myself who hang around the edge of
kernel dev , find their favourite piece of kernel has
no maintainer - and volunteer.

So Eric solution may get new maintainers to appear for orphaned code
as 'if by magic'

Alternatively not, of course.

TTFN

--
Roger
     Think of the mess on the carpet. Sensible people do all their