Disappearing RAM

From: John Weber (weber@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 10:58:37 EST

There appears to be quite a difference between the memory usage reported
by top
(immediately after boot and minus all user processes) and that reported
by the kernel
during boot. Can anyone give me any hints as to why this might happen?

I am assuming that if I subtract all the memory in use by processes
listed by top from all
the memory in use that this equals the amount of memory used by the
kernel.
These numbers do not add up.

A related question: In the 2.2 kernels, does the kernel pre-allocate
any amount of memory
for modules?

Or is everything I'm seeing related to VM bugs in 2.2.<19 ?

--
  -o) j o h n  e   w e b e r
  / \ aspiring computer scientist & lover of pengiuns