Re: [2.2.19 reiserfs] vs-8345: get_mem_for_virtual_node: kmalloc failed.

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 10:33:04 EST

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 05:20:35PM +0200, Rķkharšur Egilsson wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening ?
>
> This (squid) server, serves about 50 requests/sec, so 2 minutes of downtime
> means a lot of unhappy "customers".

The atomic allocations for incoming packets probably overwhelm the memory
system. Try to increase the values (*2,*3) in /proc/sys/vm/freepages,
that'll keep more memory free for interrupts and flush more aggressively.
It may also help a bit to change the rx_copybreak argument of the network
driver.

-Andi