Re: hundreds of mount --bind mountpoints?

From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 08:17:53 EST

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 01:43:27PM +0200, Christoph Rohland wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, David L. Parsley wrote:
> > attach packages inside it. Since symlinks in a tmpfs filesystem
> > cost 4k each (ouch!), I'm considering using mount --bind for
> > everything.
>
> What about fixing tmpfs instead?

The question is: How? If you do it like ramfs, you cannot swap
these symlinks and this is effectively a mlock(symlink) operation
allowed for normal users. -> BAD!

One idea is to only use a page, if the entry will be pushed into
swap and thus only wasting swap, not memory (where we have more
of it).

But allocating a page on memory pressure is also not a bright
idea.

OTOH we could force this entry to swap immedately, after we
copied it from the dentry. So we can do an GFP_ATOMIC allocation
and do not too much harm to memory pressure and only make the IO
a bit stormier.

I think there are a lot of races, which I don't see now.

So please don't beat me too much, if this is a completly stupid
idea, ok? ;-)

Regards

Ingo Oeser

--
10.+11.03.2001 - 3. Chemnitzer LinuxTag <http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<     been there and had much fun   >>>>>>>>>>>>