Re: APIC-Errors+Crashes on GA 586DX, 2.2.17/2.4.3

From: Hermann Himmelbauer (dusty@violin.dyndns.org)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 07:56:07 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > here. These errors itself are not a problem since the APIC bus detect
> > it and recover, but if here are double errors in a way that the checksum
> > is OK, the APIC may run in trouble.
>
> Also nothing but recent -ac kernels in the 2.4 range handle the replay of
> IPI's sometimes caused by this. That patch is a post 2.4.4 thing to sort out.

Hmmm, that's a little too technical for me ;-)
Does that mean that this patch would perhaps increase the stability of
my board as this code tries to prevent those double errors?
If yes, where could I get this patch to try it out?

What do you think of the following suggestion:
-Implement two runtime kernel variables like

/proc/sys/kernel/print_apic_errors
This would simply disable those "APIC error" kernel logs, so that the
logfile is not flooded. (45000 log entries in 1 hour are quite a lot).
Anyway once you know that your board has this problem, IMHO there is no
further use in those messages.

/proc/sys/kernel/enable_apic
The second one would enable/disable the APIC code for testing purposes -
like the "noapic" parameter during boottime. But as I have no knowledge
about those kernel internals, perhaps this wish is impossible to
implement...

Once again, thank you for your help!

                Best Regards,
                Hermann

--
 ,_,
(O,O)     "There is more to life than increasing its speed."