Re: PATCH(?): linux-2.4.4-pre2: fork should run child first

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 10:06:41 EST

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >If it turns out to be beneficial to run the child first (you
> > >can measure this), why not leave everything the same as it is
> > >now but have do_fork() "switch threads" internally ?
> >
> > That is an elegant idea.
>
> I doubt it. It sounds like one of those "cool value" ideas that
> are actually really stupid except they sound cool because you
> have to think about the twists and turns.

You're right. Time to put a "don't try to think of cool ideas
after going out at night" sign on the wall ;)

cheers,

Rik

--
Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml

Virtual memory is like a game you can't win; However, without VM there's truly nothing to lose...

http://www.surriel.com/ http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/