Re: New SYM53C8XX driver in 2.4.3-ac5 FIXES CD Writing!!!!

From: Matthew Grant (grantma@anathoth.gen.nz)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 18:20:44 EST

Very glad to see that the SYMBIOS driver changes in 2.4.3-ac5 has solved all
of my SCSI woes...

> > Running LVM 0.9.1beta7 (kernel patch) with Reiserfs v2, + Reiserfs VFS patch
> > (this works!!!! - go put it in Alan!!! - its in the LVM tar ball).
>
> LVM - no. The LVM patch is a disgusting pile of crud right now

Their patch generation is CRAP!@#$!@#%#, but I find that LVM 0.9.1beta2 in the
kernel is more broken than beta7 version, a lot of lvm operations in the
kernel version DON'T WORK!!!

What are the problems????

Just had a quick looksee at their patch - you should be able to get a better
diff by applying their patch to a kernel tree and then doing a diff -w to
regenerate it... ???

The VFS stuff they have done - seemed like a small change to me, and it is a
seperate patch.

Reiserfs quota support should be added to the kernel if it is simple also.
Reiserfs knfsd functionality looks like a real nightmare, and if people want
to NFS share a reiserfs file system, for the moment they can just go and use
the old Userspace NFS server...

Distributions are all going to be pushing for this, they will all want to use
reiserfs on LVM and RAID sub-systems with quota support. The kernel NEEDS to
have reiserfs better intergrated into its subsystems. We have to get it all
cleaned up and get it out there. If you are iffy about one of these features,
put it in as an (EXPERIMENTAL) configuration item - We need to get them out
there rather than having a lot of different ongoing backroom operations to add
the functionality.

Best Regards,

Matthew Grant

Matthew Grant	     /\	 ^/\^	grantma@anathoth.gen.nz  It's/~~~~\Plain where