pmd_alloc, pte_alloc, Was Re: 2.4.3 and Alpha

From: tom_gall@vnet.ibm.com
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 17:37:51 EST

Hi All, Alan,

  I realize I don't keep up with the linux kernel mailing list like i should but
the change to pmd_alloc and pte_alloc has me a little worried.

  I'm working on the ppc64 port (sources soon to be posted) and this change
affects one of the design attributes that we've had.

  Basically in the pmd, it would seem that the current design in 2.4.3 forces
you to have pointers in there. Currently in our source we're using offsets
instead of a 64 bit pointer... this of course saved us from having to alloc 2
contiguous pages in memory.

  This isn't the end of the world, we can change over to using pointers but I
just wanted to confirm that that was the intent or maybe I'm missing something
and there is still a way out and still have our own arch dependant
implementations of pte_alloc and pmd_alloc.

  Regards,

  Tom

--
Tom Gall - PowerPC Linux Team    "Where's the ka-boom? There was
Linux Technology Center           supposed to be an earth