Re: 8139too: defunct threads

From: Rod Stewart (stewart@dystopia.lab43.org)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 16:23:44 EST

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Rod Stewart wrote:

> > > What is the parent PID for the defunct tasks? zero?
> >
> > According to ps, 1
>
> Ah. Of course. All (or most) kernel initialisation is
> done by PID 1. Search for "kernel_thread" in init/main.c
>
> So it seems that in your setup, process 1 is not reaping
> children, which is why this hasn't been reported before.
> Is there something unusual about your setup?

One box is standard PIII with RH 7.0, the other is a custom Crusoe TM5400
board. But from further investigation it appears to be a kernel config
option. As I've got a 2.4.0 kernel which has very little compiled in and
not showing the problem and another kernel which has many more networking
options built in and showing the problem. I've seen this problem
since 2.4.0.test11.

I'll send a note once I find the config option which is causing this,
probably tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Rms