Proposal for a new PCI function call

From: Steve Modica (modica@sgi.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 14:27:48 EST

Hi All,

We found recently that the acenic driver for the 3com gigabit ethernet card does
not enable 64 bit DMAs. (this is done by setting the appropriate mask in
pci_dev->dma_mask).

Jes suggested that the appropriate way to fix this would be to create a function
like pci_enable_dma64 and then have the driver call that, rather than directly
setting this value (a small handful of drivers do this now).

I think the function idea would let us do some sanity checking to make sure
drivers weren't setting this to 64bit on non-64 bit busses and stuff.

Anyhow, so long as no one has any heartburn with this, we'll try to put
something together and submit it. I'm not subscribed to the list *yet* (need to
get procmail setup), so please leave me in the CC line.

Thanks!
Steve

--
Steve Modica