Re: List of all-zero .data variables in linux-2.4.3 available

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 14:01:55 EST

johan.adolfsson@axis.com writes:
>Shouldn't a compiler be able to deal with this instead?

        Yes. I sent some email to bug-gcc about this a couple of
months ago and even posted some (probably horribly incorrect) code
showing roughly the change I had in mind in the gcc source code
for the simple case of scalar variables. I was told that some code
to this was put in and then removed from gcc a long time ago, and
nobody seemed interested in putting it back in. I would think that this
would be a basic optimization that I would expect the compiler to make,
just like deleting "if(0) {......}" code, but gcc does not currently
do that. If somebody would like to fix gcc and do the necessary
lobbying to get such a change integrated, that would be great. However,
until that actually happens, I hope the file that I posted to
ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/adam/linux/zerovars/ will be useful
to individual maintainers and in identifying the largest arrays of
zeroes that can fix fixed in a few lines.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."