Re: No 100 HZ timer !

From: watermodem (aquamodem@ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 00:25:58 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > Timers more precise than 100HZ aren't probably needed - as MIN_RTO is 0.2s
> > and MIN_DELACK is 0.04s, TCP would hardly benefit from them.
>
> There are a considerable number of people who really do need 1Khz resolution.
> Midi is one of the example cases. That doesn't mean we have to go to a 1KHz
> timer, we may want to combine a 100Hz timer with a smart switch to 1Khz

As somebody who is now debating how to measure latencies in a
giga-bit ethernet environment with several components doing
L3 switching in much less than 10 micro-seconds ... (hardware)
I agree that some method is need to achieve higher resolutions.
(Sigh... I will likely need to buy something big and expensive)
{this is for a system to make use of L. Yarrow's little protocol}