Re: CML2 1.0.0 release announcement

From: esr@thyrsus.com
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 17:20:34 EST

davej@suse.de <davej@suse.de>:
> One of the first things I noticed was it seems noticably slower
> than CML1. A make menuconfig in CML1 takes me into the menu
> in under a second. (On an already compiled tree).
> CML2 takes around 15 seconds before I get that far.
> This is on an Athlon 800 w/512MB. I dread to think how this
> responds on a 486.

Yes, I know I have some speed-tuning to do.

> Scrolling the cursor bar in menuconfig causes a lot of flickering
> as the entire screen seems to be redrawn. This is becomes unusable
> after a few minutes usage. Scrolling under CML1's menuconfig doesn't
> show this behaviour.

That's odd. I see no screen flicker at all when I scroll my menu bar.
I wonder what's different about your environment. You're running under
SuSE, I presume -- perhaps you have an older ncurses version?

> The various colours used to show submenus that have been visited
> seems confusing, and unnecessary. Their meaning also seems undocumented.

I'll document them. They're intended to help you track what portions
of the configuration you've already done.

> Top level menu seems to have gained a few items.
> For example, the `SCSI support' item has disappeared,
> making `SCSI disk support' and `SCSI low-level drivers'
> both appear on the top level menu.

The SCSI support flag is in the buses menu. You see these two menus because
the defconfig sets it on.

> For some reason, the kernel hacking menu doesn't show
> 4/5 of the options that it used to. Instead it replaces
> them with one new one (Disable VHPT). Which it seems to
> picking up from the IA64 tree. Most strange.

Ah. That's because I didn't have an `unless ia64 suppress DISABLE_VHPT'
I've added that.

A lot of the stuff that used to be under that menu moved to archihacks,
I think.

> Finally, quitting the program (q twice) gives me this..
> python2 -O scripts/configtrans.py -h include/linux/autoconf.h -s .config
> config.out
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "scripts/configtrans.py", line 104, in ?
> sys.stderr.write(args[0]);
> TypeError: read-only character buffer, int
> make: *** [menuconfig] Error 1

I can't reproduce this. Do you get the same behavior under 1.0.3?

Such are a well regulated militia, composed of the freeholders, citizen and husbandman, who take up arms to preserve their property, as individuals, and their rights as freemen. -- "M.T. Cicero", in a newspaper letter of 1788 touching the "militia" referred to in the Second Amendment to the Constitution. - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/