Re: 2.4.3 compile error No 3

From: info (5740@mail.ru)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 11:34:26 EST

Чтв, 12 Апр 2001, в сообщении на тему "Re: 2.4.3 compile error No 3", Petr Vandrovec написал:
> On 11 Apr 01 at 20:15, info wrote:
> >
> > By the way, I thung that it is a good idea - to modify
> > xconfig/meniconfig script in manner to make disable ipx if sysctl
> > setted off - like in many other cross-dependance options.
>
> Without sysctl you cannot disable Netbios propagation packet routing.
> And no machine with enabled Netbios routing passes our 'you must not
> participate in broadcast storms' test if it has enabled more than
> one IPX frame on each interface. So you'll get disconnected from our
> university net.
> Petr Vandrovec
> vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

Sorry, Petr, I can't understand your mind: my knowlege in programming
and English isn't enougth.

My user's mind was: if sysctl is needed for ipx, then:
1-st variant - to modify config script in such manner that sysctl
turned on automatically (maybe as other needable functions, if they
are) if ipx selected.
2-nd variant - to modify it in such manner that you can't select ipx
before you select sysctl

The second variant is more easy (for example: you can't select reiserfs now
if you doesn't select one of another option, I don't remember it's
name).
But the first way is more user-friendly. This is the same principle
as in rpm during installation. For example: when I select in Mandrake
installer that I want to have Klyx in my KDE, the installer
automatically select tetex, latex, ghostscript and other packages.
Because klyx can't work without them. It is very comfortable for
user.

I think that you, as kernel programmer, work with .config
directly. But I - as user - work only on level of "menu xconfig"
screen when I try to compile.

I speake only about user's friendlyness of kernel config screen, not
about frames and other programming topics. I don't know what is it at
all. It is not my user's level.