ati mach64vt, atyfb.c, fbcon and black screens

From: nicholas black (dank@havoc.gtf.org)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 11:26:08 EST

i'm running 2.4.3, and attempting to use the ati mach64 framebuffer
driver (atyfb.c) in place of the slooow vesa fb. my card is an ati
mach64 vt4 according to lspci, claimed in atyfb.c line 555 to be
supported. on startup, however, i get kernel decompression, followed
by a black screen. it appears the boot sequence does not complete, as i
can't even ssh into the box, although the case may be that init is
hitting a point where it needs interaction somewhere.

i've compiled my kernel with:
        vga console
        vga mode selection support
        framebuffer->ati mach64 support,

all as builtins. as explained in Documentation/fb/modedb.txt, the atyfb
driver is supported by modedb, and i've placed

append="video=atyfb:640x480"

in my lilo.conf. it is probably worth noting that i also still have
vga=791 in my lilo.conf from the vesafb days; i'm considering that
this (as it, for one, specifies a different resolution) may be the
culprit, but the box is at home.

any ideas? if i simply need to rtfm, please direct me; i've been
searching for an answer to this since 2.2.

--
nicholas black  -=+=-  dank@gtf.org  -=+=-  http://www.angband.org/~dank/
  head developer, trellis network security   http://www.trellisinc.com/