Re: [QUESTION] 2.4.x nice level

From: george anzinger (george@mvista.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 22:37:10 EST

SodaPop wrote:

> I too have noticed that nicing processes does not work nearly as
> effectively as I'd like it to. I run on an underpowered machine,
> and have had to stop running things such as seti because it steals too
> much cpu time, even when maximally niced.
>
> As an example, I can run mpg123 and a kernel build concurrently without
> trouble; but if I add a single maximally niced seti process, mpg123 runs
> out of gas and will start to skip while decoding.
>
> Is there any way we can make nice levels stronger than they currently are
> in 2.4? Or is this perhaps a timeslice problem, where once seti gets cpu
> time it runs longer than it should since it makes relatively few system
> calls?

In kernel/sched.c for HZ < 200 an adjustment of nice to tick is set up
to be nice>>2 (i.e. nice /4). This gives the ratio of nice to time
slice. Adjustments are made to make the MOST nice yield 1 jiffy, so
using this scale and remembering nice ranges from -19 to 20 the least
nice is 40/4 or 10 ticks. This implies that if only two tasks are
running and they are most and least niced then one will get 1/11 of the
processor, the other 10/11 (about 10% and 90%). If one is niced and the
other is not you get 1 and 5 for the time slices or 1/6 and 5/6 (17% and
83%).

In 2.2.x systems the full range of nice was used one to one to give 1
and 39 or 40 or 2.5% and 97.5% for max nice to min. For most nice to
normal you would get 1 and 20 or 4.7% and 95.3%.

The comments say the objective is to come up with a time slice of 50ms,
presumably for the normal nice value of zero. After translating the
range this would be a value of 20 and, yep 20/4 give 5 jiffies or 50
ms. Sure puts a crimp in the min to max range, however.

George