Re: 2.4.3, VMWare, 2 VMs

From: Wade Hampton (whampton@staffnet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 12:14:39 EST

Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> On 9 Apr 01 at 12:03, Wade Hampton wrote:
>
> > Is anyone having problems with running more than
> As I already answered on VMware newsgroups:
Thanks. I didn't see the post on the VMware newsgroup....

> VMware's 2.0.3 vmmon module uses save_flags() + cli()
> in poll() fops, and after this cli() it calls
> spin_lock() :-( It is not safest thing to do.
> But it should not cause reboot. You should get
>
> /dev/vmmon: 11 wait for global VM lock XX
I had over 2000 of those in /var/log/messages
(not counting the "repeated" lines in /var/log/messages).
Yep, that's the problem....

> and now dead machine with disabled interrupts...
Yes, basically a dead machine with NO response to
anything....

> As all other callers of HostIF_GlobalVMLock() hold
> big kernel lock, easiest thing to do is to add
> lock_kernel()/unlock_kernel() around LinuxDriver_Poll()
> body.
>
> Removing whole save_flags/cli is for sure much better,
> but it is still in my queue (if you are looking into vmmon
> driver, then whole poll mess is there to get wakeup on
> next jiffy, and not on next + one...).
No, I can wait for the a release that fixes this. If
you have a patch or test version, send it to me and I'll
test it on my development machine....

For now, I'll just not use 2 VMs until it is fixed.

Cheers,

--
W. Wade, Hampton  <whampton@staffnet.com>