reboots under load in 2.4.3

From: Vitezslav Samel (samel@mail.cz)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 07:57:24 EST

        Hi!

  When I booted freshly compiled linux-2.4.3 on my SMP machine, during some
compilling (make -j2 in gtk+ sources) the machine reboots. There were some
other processes running: trplayer (command line realaudio player), some
bashes and midnight-commanders. XFree86 wasn't running. Reboots were
spontaneous - no messages in logs nor on console. I've tried booting once
again and tried compilling gtk+. After cca 10 seconds the machine rebooted.

  I've tried booting with and without 'nmi_watchdog' option reboots were
still happening. Also tried 'noapic' option and the system seems to be solid
(3days now).

  Are there any known problems with APIC in recent kernels?

        Thanks,
                        Vita Samel

HW: ASUS P2B-D dual mainboard
        2x PIII/700
        Adaptec 29160 SCSI card
        SB Live! sound card

SW: (kernel compiled without modules)

Linux pc11 2.4.3 #1 SMP Fri Apr 6 09:13:41 CEST 2001 i686 unknown

Gnu C 2.95.3
Gnu make 3.79
binutils 2.9.5.0.42
util-linux 2.10l