Re: build -->/usr/src/linux

From: Marvin Stodolsky (stodolsk@rcn.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 12:30:17 EST

Russell

Thanks for responding. But I would still like to understand what the
functionality is of the build --> /usr/src/linuc. Is it dispensable,
once the module tree has been installed?

Incidentally, per below, my own modutils is current, though some of the
folks using our ltmodem.o compiler/installer kits may indeed need to
update.
> You need to update your modutils package - there have been a number of
> important bug fixes, including some which allow it to work properly with
> 2.4 kernels.

# insmod -V
insmod version 2.4.2
# grep " # " /usr/src/linux-2.4.3/Documentation/Changes
o Gnu C 2.91.66 # gcc --version
o Gnu make 3.77 # make --version
o binutils 2.9.1.0.25 # ld -v
o util-linux 2.10o # fdformat --version