Re: EXT2-fs error

From: John Heil (kerndev@sc-software.com)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 06:46:20 EST

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Ian Wehrman wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:12:05 -0600
> From: Ian Wehrman <ian@wehrman.com>
> To: mhaque@haque.net, adilger@turbolinux.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: EXT2-fs error
>
> Mohammad A. Haque <mhaque@haque.net> wrote:
> > I got the following after compiling/rebooting into 2.4.2 and forcing a
> > fsck.
> >
> > EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,3)): ext2_readdir: bad entry in directory
> > #508411: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0,
> > name_len=0
> > EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,3)): ext2_readdir: bad entry in directory
> > #508411: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0,
> > name_len=0
> >
> > Possibly the result of the 'silent' bug in 2.4.1?
>
> you are not the only one who found this bug. immediately after booting 2.4.2 i
> received dozens of these errors, resulting in _major_ filesystem corruption.

In contrast perhaps, 2.4.1-ac19 seems clean so far in this regard after
having some different but equivalently bad corruption in 2.4.1-final.

> after a half hour of fsck'ing i managed to bring the machine back into a usable
> state, but there are still many files and directories around the fs that have
> the wrong uid/gid associated with them, as well as incorrect file type,
> permissions, etc. i'm not using any unusual hardware, and haven't had any
> other recent issues like this. let me know if i can provide further information,
> or test patches.
>
> thanks,
> ian wehrman
> -

John Heil
South Coast Software
Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes
1-714-774-6952
kerndev@sc-software.com
johnhscs@sc-software.com
http://www.sc-software.com