Video drivers and the kernel

From: Louis Garcia (louisg00@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 21:47:01 EST

I was wondering why video drivers are not part of the kernel like every
other piece of hardware. I would think if video drivers were part of the
kernel and had a nice API for X or any other windowing system, would not
only improve performance but would allow competing windowing systems
without having to develop drivers for each. Has anyone thought or
rejected this idea.

Anyway, This was running though my head for a long time and just thought
I ask.

Lou