hotplugging with regular PCI cards

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 01:08:06 EST

        I saw an interesting demonstration at LinuxWorld last week.
Compaq had a machine that did hot plugging with regular PCI cards (not
Compact PCI). If anyone out there is familiar with this machine,
I would be interested in knowing what the status is on getting
the support for that backplain integrated into the stock kernels.

        When that occurs, that will be yet another reason to treat all
new style PCI drivers as potentially hot pluggable, even if those cards
are not currently available in a CardBus or CompactPCI form, and in
particular to change all of the xxx_pci_tbl declarations in PCI
drivers that are currently marked as __initdata back to __devinitdata.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."