Re: Speed of the network card

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 07:54:21 EST

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 04:30:30AM -0500, Sourav Ghosh wrote:

    I would like to determine the banwidth the card is getting from
    the network.

/proc/net/dev exports counters; you can monitor those -- I'm sure
there are perfomance program that do exactly this.

    For an ethernet, it could be either 10Mbps or 100Mbps, is there
    any way of knowing from inside the kernel how much is the
    bandwidth the card is actually receiving from the network,
    especially when it is capable of getting either 10Mbps or
    100Mbps?

The kernel counts packets and bytes; you need to work out bandwidth
in userland from that.

  --cw