Re: Timeout: AT keyboard not present?

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 10:39:11 EST

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> (Ordinarily a key-up event gets scancode of key-down but with
> high-order bit set. In scancode set 1, a key-up event get the
> scancode of key-down prefixed by 0xf0. Since the high-order bit
> is masked here, this 0xf0 would show up as 0x70.
> Moreover, the key-up for a sequence like e0 71 is e0 f0 71,
> again what you see here.)
>
> How you got into scancode mode 1 I don't know
> (maybe by sending the command f0 01 to the keyboard).

 It looks like untranslated mode 2 (i.e. the AT keyboard's mode). You
switch translation on or off by toggling a bit in the onboard 8042's
command byte.

 PS/2-style keyboards start in mode 2 usually. An XT compatibility (bit 7
meaning release) is provided by the onboard 8042 translating codes. Some
systems (I think DEC OSF/1, for example) program keyboards to work in mode
3 (the PS/2 native mode) or possibly mode 1 (XT compatibility mode); for
these modes the 8042's translation has to disabled or the keyboard will be
next to useless. It's also meaningful to disable the translation in mode
2 -- you are presented with the AT interface then.