bug report in kernel-2.2.18: kernel cannot start

From: François Dupoux (fdupoux@free.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 15:29:49 EST

Hi,

I compiled a 2.2.18 kernel, and copied the bzImage to a floppy, made some
rdev commands, and when I boot on the floppy, it printfs "Loading........."
and stopped with the following message:
0200
AX:0212
BX:0000
CX:5201
Dx:0000
0400
AX:0212

And the floppy continue to works, while this text is printed and make an
infinite loop.

Maybe I made an error, then I don't want to write to alan cox for the moment.
But if this is a real important bug, I hope I can help to fix it by
sumbitting this bug report.

I think this is a bug from the kernel, because it work when I compile with
the same patches for a Pentium II instead of i386.

The configuration file is attached.

Here are some details:

* It failed when I compiled for i386 and i486
* I had the same error with kernel 2.2.17, but it worked (for i386 too) with
2.2.16
* I can compile the same kernel for Pentium II without error
* My processor is Celeron 433 not overclocked
* I use Linux Debian Potato with a recompiled kernel-2.2.17
* I applied two patches:
  - ReiserFS (the official one, for 2.2.18)
  - I replaced the fs/hpfs directory with a read/write driver
* I compiled many drivers (not as module) to create a rescue bootdisk

The commands I used before copying to a floppy:
rdev bzImage /dev/fd0
rdev -r bzImage 49152
rdev -R bzImage 0

Thanks.