[revisited] Oops on boot with 2.4.0testX and GCC snapshots

From: Andreas Franck (afranck@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 13:00:41 EST

Hello together,

after all the new year's celebrations, I have today taken the time to create
a small patch, based on Linus' idea, that will fix this problem in the
kernel, _without_ pessimizing any code or breaking with earlier compilers.

2.4.0-prerelease is now running here for an hour compiled completely with
gcc-snapshot-2.97-20001222, without any noticed problems (so far).

Perhaps this could be included in the kernel to enable people to look for the
real caveats when compiling everything on the bleeding edge, or should we
wait for the GCC maintainers' call - I haven't had any reaction on my bug
report yet.

Along with it is a small fix for a typo in fs/umsdos/mangle.c, which was
detected by GCC's new preprocessor (#elseif instead of #else).

Greetings and a happy new year to everyone,
Andreas

--
---<<<---- Andreas.Franck@post.rwth-aachen.de --->>>---