Re: Arg. File > 2GB removal

From: CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 02:26:27 EST

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 02:16:15AM -0600, Damacus Porteng wrote:
> For grins, I did `dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024 count=4000000`
>
> Obviously, with the limits of ext2, this isn't allowed, however, dd continued
> marrily on its way, tho it spouted an error...
>
> I cancelled the dd and went to remove the file, though the following occured:
> root@obfuscated:/home/ftp# rm testfile
> rm: cannot remove `testfile': Value too large for defined data type

Hrm... This is with 2.2.18:

[18:17:15] hogarth@theirongiant:/data>> dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1024 count=4000000
dd: testfile: File too large
2097152+0 records in
2097151+0 records out
[18:21:07] hogarth@theirongiant:/data>> rm testfile
[18:24:16] hogarth@theirongiant:/data>>

So it worked for me... Regardless though have you tried

>testfile
rm testfile

?

--