Re: strange nfs behavior in 2.2.18 and 2.4.0-test12

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 17:14:55 EST

On Thursday December 21, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Hi. I am having strange nfs problems in both my 2.x and 2.4.0-test12
> kernels.
>
> What is happening is that when the machine boots up and exports the
> directories for nfs, it complains that
>
> ccs2:/ invalid argument .
>
> The exports entry is
>
> / ccs2(rw,no_root_squash)

Is there another export entry that exports another part of the same
file system to the same client? If so, that is your problem.
You cannot export two different directories on the same filesystem to
the same client if one is an ancestor of the other (because exporting
a directory is really exporting the directory and all descendants on
that filesystem, and so exporting a directory and a subdirectory is
effectively exporting the subdirectory twice with potentially
different flags).

NeilBrown