CPRM copy protection for ATA drives

From: lk@mailandnews.com
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 18:23:48 EST

I read this article on theregister today:
Does anyone have any details on this? I presume that the drive
firmware is capable of identifying copy-protected data during
a write. I also presume that nobody on lkml would condone
such a terrible idea. I imagine that this system is pretty
easy to defeat if you can modify the filesystem. Perhaps even
a ROT13 modification to ext2 would be sufficient?

The consequences of being able to corrupt other people's backups
by introducing "copy-protected" data are intriguing...

Paul