Re: [2.2.18] VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 15:56:27 EST

On Wednesday, December 20, 2000 13:03:00 +0100 Matthias Andree
<matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Last night, one of your production machines got wedged, I caught a lot
> of kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for ... for a whole range of
> processes, among them ypbind, klogd, syslogd, xntpd, cron, nscd, X,
> master (Postfix super daemon), pvmd3, K applications and so on, I was
> unable to log in via ssh, someone on-site has finally reset that machine
> this noon to bring it back online.
> > How can I get rid of those do_try_to_free_pages lockups? That box
> exports root file systems for some SparcStation 2 that are used as X
> terminals, so it's pretty important I keep that box running.
> > Should I try the most recent 2.2.19-pre?
> > The machine is a pentium-MMX with 64 MB RAM with a kernel 2.2.18 that
> has these patches/updated drivers (none VM related AFAICS):
> > IDE 2.2.18.1209
> I²C 2.5.4
> LM_Sensors 2.5.4
> DC390 2.0e7
> ReiserFS 3.5.28

If you still see the problem with Andrea's VM global patch (you can get
just that one patch from ftp.kernel.org/pub/people/andrea), try cutting
JOURNAL_MAX_BATCH in half. This will lower the amount of memory reiserfs
is willing to pin in one transaction...

-chris