Re: [Patch] performance enhancement for simple_strtoul

From: Steve Grubb (ddata@gate.net)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 11:35:33 EST

Hello,

I thought about that. This would be my recommendation for glibc where the
general public may be doing scientific applications. But this is the kernel
and there are people that would reject my patch purely on the basis that it
adds precious bytes to the kernel. But since the kernel is "controllable" &
printf() and its variants only support 8, 10, & 16, perhaps a better
solution might be to trap the odd case and write something for it if its
that important, or simply don't allow it.

The base guessing part at the beginning of the function only supports base
8, 10, & 16. Therefore, the only way to require another base is to specify
it in the function call (param - unsigned int base). A quick scan of the
current linux source shows no one using something odd. So...

If the maintainers of vsprintf.c want support for all number bases, that's
fine with me. Just say the word & I'll gen up another patch...but it will be
more bytes.

Cheers,
Steve Grubb