2.4.0-test13pre3 acpi circular dependency

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 20:00:58 EST

        Although the stock linux-2.4.0-test13pre3 does not allow
one to build the acpi interpreter as a loadable module, I had
tweaked the Makefiles in previous kernels to do this (the supporting
code is there and it seemed to work, at least for shutting off the
power after a shutdown). Unfortunately, in 2.4.0-test13pre3, this
is no harder to do, because there is a circular dependency:

drivers/acpi/ references acpi_get_rsdp_ptr in arch/i386/kernel/acpi.c,
                                and
arch/i386/kernel/acpi.c references acp_find_root_pointer in drivers/acpi/.

        I would like to recommend that the contents of
arch/i{386,a64}/kernel/acpi.c be merged back somewhere in drivers/acpi/,
and just selected with Makefile options, ifdefs, or perhaps runtime
options (if the ia64 code is potentionally useable to an i386 kernel
that find itself running on an ia64 CPU, which will probably be the case
with most Linux distributions initially installed on ia64 hardware).

        If need be, I would be willing to at least write a quick and
dirty #ifdef-based version of this proposed change.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."