Strange warnings about .modinfo when compiling 2.2.18 on Alpha

From: Jesper Juhl (juhl@eisenstein.dk)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 10:20:17 EST

Hi,

I just compiled 2.2.18 for my AlphaServer 400 4/233, and noticed a lot of
messages like the following during the compile, they all contain the
'Ignoring changed section attributes for .modinfo' part:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:7: Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for
.modinfo
cc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -mno-fp-regs -ffixed-8
-mcpu=ev5 -Wa,-mev6 -DMODULE -c -o nls_cp936.o nls_cp936.c

I configured the kernel with 'make menuconfig', then ran

make dep clean boot modules modules_install

The kernel boots fine and there does not seem to be any problems (at
least not with the stuff I've tested so far). I just wanted people to
know about this and ask if it is anything to worry about?
I'm using gcc 2.95.2 (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)) for this,
and as far as I remember that's not the recommended compiler on Alpha
(but it's all I have at the moment). If this is a known issue with gcc
2.95.2, then I appologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Jesper Juhl