Re: 2.4.0-test5 bug: invalid "shmid_kernel" passed to "shm_nopage_core"

From: Kevin Buhr (buhr@stat.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 13:11:52 EST

Christoph Rohland <cr@sap.com> writes:

> I am just running a stress test on 2.4.0-test13-pre3 + appended patch
> without problems. Is the shm segment deleted sometimes or is it always
> the same segment?

IIRC, in my particular crash case, the Enlightenment window manager
was using the X shared memory extension to take snapshots of the
screen for its little desktop pager window around 30 times a second;
Mozilla was also sharing some memory with the X server for something.

The code in Enlightenment did a complete shmget/shmat/shmctl(RMID)/shmdt
cycle, so that segment *was* being constantly deleted. The Mozilla
ones stuck around. The particular address that was being reference in
the shm_nopage_core call corresponded to the segments being created
and deleted by Enlightenment, however.

Thanks for the locking tutorial, too.

Kevin <buhr@stat.wisc.edu>