generic sleeping locks?

From: Eli Carter (eli.carter@inet.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 17:54:43 EST

Allow me to display my ignorance a moment.

Are there blocking lock primitives already defined somewhere in the
kernel?

It just seems that

while( lockvar )
        sleep_on( &lockwaitq );

along with its various permutations would be commonly used and worthy of
being made into a generic sleep lock. A few blind greps through the
source didn't find anything that caught my eye.

If there aren't, would a patch to add them be of interest to anyone?
Input on design details welcome.

TIA,

Eli
--------------------. "To the systems programmer, users and applications
Eli Carter | serve only to provide a test load."
eli.carter@inet.com `---------------------------------- (random fortune)