Monitoring filesystems / blockdevice for errors

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree (lmb@suse.de)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 09:34:53 EST

Good morning,

currently, there is no way for an external application to monitor whether a
filesystem or underlaying block device has hit an error condition - internal
inconsistency, read or write error, whatever.

Short of parsing syslog messages, which isn't particularly great.

This is necessary for server monitoring in general.

I don't have a real idea how this could be added, short of adding a field to
/proc/partitions (error count) or something similiar.

Comments?

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl